Thursday, January 22, 2009

Battling Deaf Mutes.

Because of the whole storage fiasco, I lost my mission journal and feel I should write memories down as they come back to me. Today I was telling stories from my mission and I remembered the time walking home at dusk in Podolsk, these two men being held back from each other by their friends. They were trying to fight but couldn't reach each other. I noticed they weren't saying anything, no one was saying anything, but they were all just making hand gestures at each other with angry drunken faces. They were all either deaf or dumb. I stopped in my tracks and said "You gotta be kidding me" as I tried to force back a smart aleck 20 year old's grin and lift my gaping chin up from the shock. My companion and I watched what was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Two men facing each other about 10 feet apart trying their hardest to free their hands enough to make out the sign words that would bring the most disgust to the other. When one would get through an entire gesture, the other's face would explode with furry and he would try to respond with sign words of his own. The point at which I couldn't hold back my laughter anymore was when I watched the worst insult of all as one of the men actually dared to turn his back on his colleage. The other man was insanely furious that his sign language insults were completely futile. After a few moments the man turned around again and there was a quick exchange of more sign language then the other guy turned his back causing the same anger to appear on the other's face. This exchange went on in a drunken deaf mute stupor for a good 10 minutes before we had our fill and walked away. I love that we stumbled upon that and watched. I think I was eating Shwarma at the time. Mmmmm.

No comments: